Windows are a major contributor to energy efficiency and updated windows are essential for keeping your home comfortable without exorbitant energy bills. The right windows will also contribute to a beautiful home.
If you have moved into an older home on Staten Island or replaced your windows many years ago, the time may be approaching for you to update to newer windows. There are a few signs that you can look for to help you determine when the right time to update is.
Signs that You Should Replace Your Windows
Many of the homes on Staten Island are older and have aging windows as a result. Even newer homes or homes with previously replaced windows could still be due for window replacement in the next few years. Some of the signs that indicate that your windows are ready for replacement include:
- Windows are More Than 20 Years Old – Most windows are only designed to last for 15 to 20 years. At that time, the energy loss from windows often makes it more cost efficient to replace windows altogether. If you know that you or the previous homeowner installed the current windows more than 20 years ago, it is likely time to consider replacement.
- Single Pane Windows – If your existing windows are single pane, you will experience significant energy savings and increased comfort by upgrading to dual pane windows.
- Windows Feel Cold – If the air near your window feels exceptionally cold during the winter or warm during the summer, this could indicate that there is significant thermal energy transfer going on. Newer windows will limit this transfer of hot or cold air.
- You Feel Draughts – Over time, windows will start to develop small gaps between the window and the frame that the air can get through. If you feel a breeze of cold air in the cooler months while your window is shut, this can indicate that the gaps have grown relatively large. You can also find gaps by holding a candle around your window frame and seeing if there are any areas where the flame flickers.
- Window Damage – If a window has become cracked or experienced another form of damage, it should be replaced to keep out weather pests. Often it is more cost effective to replace all of your windows instead of just one.
- Moisture Between Panes – Moisture and condensation collecting between the two panes of a double paned window indicate that there is an opening through which water can get in. This could lead to bigger problems if the window is not replaced.
- You Want to Update Your Exterior – If you are making a change to the exterior of your home, it is a good time to replace windows as well. Today’s windows are available in a variety of frame styles and colors that make it possible to match windows with your siding, doors, and other exterior elements for a great cohesive look.
When it is time to update your windows in Staten Island, our expert in-house team at Christian Construction can remove existing windows and replace them with newer window types from leading brands. Our solutions can revive the exterior appearance of your home, keep you more comfortable in winter and summer, save you money on heating and cooling costs, and add value to your home with our high quality and long lasting work. Schedule a consultation with our team today to get started.