Every part of your property has a lifespan. After that lifespan, it will eventually need to be replaced. Your siding is no different. At some point, you are going to need to replace your siding, and it is always a good idea to pay attention to the signs that your siding is aging so that you can budget for and prepare for the installation process.
When Does Siding Get Replaced?
Most people replace siding for cosmetic reasons. But most siding will only truly last about 30 years, depending on the material. At some point, especially here on Staten Island, the siding will need to be replaced sooner rather than later.
One of the challenges for homeowners, however, is that siding doesn’t typically just fall apart all at once in a way that acts as a clear signal that new siding is warranted. Instead, the siding tends to have problems gradually. That is one of the reasons that many homeowners fail to change their siding, because they do not always notice that these problems are occurring.
What happens to siding as it ages will depend on the type of siding, and it would take thousands of words to describe the aging process for all different siding types. However, you can generally notice the following issues, which are usually a sign that your siding either needs to be replaced, or will soon:
- Visible Signs of Damage – Of course, the first sign that you need your siding replaced is visible damage. Remember that siding tends to wear away slowly, and sometimes the damage isn’t visible right away. If you can see visible damage, it is a good idea to have a siding company in Staten Island review your home and provide an estimate.
- Pests – Your siding is your first protection against pests. If pests are getting into your home and you’re not sure why – especially rodents, which require larger holes to enter – that is frequently a sign that there are issues with your siding that require at minimum siding repair if not complete replacement.
- Water Damage/Paint Peeling – Your siding is also your protection against the elements. Rain, wind, snow, oil, and other weather should not be able to get inside. If you see signs of unexplained water damage, including peeling paint, that may be a siding issue.
- High Energy Bills – There are a number of factors that can create high energy bills, from windows to a poorly functioning HVAC to weak insulation. We are able to handle all of those services in the event you need support. But siding is absolutely one of the causes, as it has the largest surface area of any part of your property and, if it leaks, it may allow comfortable air to leave your home. For high energy bills, you may benefit from an assessment.
- Mold – Mold can sometimes be mistaken for dirt or other contaminants. But if your siding is molding, it usually means that some or all of your siding will need to be replaced. Mold siding is most common with wood shingles, but many different materials can mold over time.
Of course, you may choose to replace your siding for strictly energy efficiency reasons, or because you are not fond of the old siding of your property. No matter your reason, siding replacement is a great option.
Call for New Siding Estimates
If you suspect something is wrong with your siding, or you know that your siding needs to be replaced, call Christian Construction today for support in Staten Island, Brooklyn, and throughout NYC and NJ.